Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Absurd, right? The 30 foot phone line

Dallas wrote:
"Dave Platt"
I really do think you should do the "take the DSL modem out to the
demarc and test with a short, good cable" test, even if this means
that you have to temporarily move your computer.

Groan!... my computer is huge.. the case is a server case and every
connector on the back has a cable in it... not impossible, just slightly
mind-boggling. :- )

I'll try to scrounge up someone's laptop.

Hey... just wanted to say to thanks to everyone - I wasn't expecting as
much good help as I'm getting here on this subject.

Dallas

Just get a long ethernet cable and an ac extension cord. The ethernet
doesn't care how far away it is (within reason). Carry the modem out to
the phone box, pop that open and hook it up with a short phone cable
(and the extension cord). Run the CAT5 back into the 'puter and browse
away....

jak