Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Absurd, right? The 30 foot phone line

The attenuation is a lot higher than the proper twisted pair cable.

Darn... now you've injected doubt on this end of the testing... the 30'
connector is flat silver cable.

I'd like to rule out the wiring after the Phone Company box as the source of
the problem, so a couple of questions:

I called AT&T DSL sales (they own the line) this afternoon and they checked
two sources to confirm I can get 6.0 Mbps service. She couldn't give me the
actual distance, but she said (with great confidence) that she could
"guarantee" 6.0. If I can get 5.0 - 6.0 Mbps service to the box and I run
the 30 foot flat silver connector wire from the box to the modem, is it
likely that the 30' cable could reduce the performance of the line from 6.0
down to 1.0 - 1.5 Mbps?

I wouldn't think it would be *that* bad, but I suppose it's possible.

If I got 30' of twisted pair cable from Fry Electronics and ran it from the
Telco box right up to the modem, would that serve as a 100% test to prove
that the problem wasn't in my house wiring?

If you use CAT-5 or better, I'd certainly think so.

I really do think you should do the "take the DSL modem out to the
demarc and test with a short, good cable" test, even if this means
that you have to temporarily move your computer. That's the best way
to eliminate the whole house-wiring issue completely.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO