Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default How do you tell if you have 60 amp or 100 amp service?

On 2008-05-29, RBM wrote:

You are correct. The service entrance cable will determine the
service size. If it is aluminum, it should be #2, if it's copper #4.
Anything smaller would be a 60 amp service

What is the diameter of #2 aluminum?

#2 wire is about 0.097" diameter.

Huh?

Sounds like a "main and range" panel with both "main" and "range" being
service disconnects (the range circuit will still be hot if you pull out
the "main" fuses). I believe these all had a rating of 100A. You can
use 60A fuses in both the "main" and "range" (but you may want to limit
the range to 40). (If a calculation of the proper size of the service
for the house is 100A the fuses can all be 60A.)

You'd better at least consider the size of the wire downstream of the
breaker before making such claims.