Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Absurd, right? The 30 foot phone line

Dallas wrote:

"Dave Platt" wrote in message

Just so you can be sure... I'd suggest re-doing the test, with the DSL
modem plugged directly into the demarc connector using a short 6'
cable.

I'd love to but I just don't have the 30' Ethernet cable.

But, I just tested the 30' phone line with a meter and it shows continuity
between all the connector blades and it draws just 2 ohms on each wire, so
it's looks fine.

You can't do the required test with an ohm meter. First of all, the
telephone wire from the phone company is twisted pair, and intended for
long runs. The flat silver satin, or similar wire isn't twisted, or
intended for DSL use. It is soft wire made for lots of flexing and use
at audio frequencies. Anything above that is just a crap shoot. DSL is
RF, not audio and the cable behaves differently. The attenuation is a
lot higher than the proper twisted pair cable.

If you don't have a long ethernet cable, see if you can borrow a
laptop with an ethernet port. If the bandwidth is still low you need to
find out how far you ae from the phone company's DSL equipment. The
longer the run, the higher the losses, and the lower the usable speed.

Another problem ids that non twisted cable can pick up RF from other
sources, and degrade your signal. That causes more lost packets, and
lower usable bandwidth.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.