Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Absurd, right? The 30 foot phone line

On Thu, 29 May 2008 00:15:19 +0100, Eeyore
put finger to keyboard and
composed:

Dallas wrote:

I realize this is the electronics.repair group and not a computer group, but
my question is really about wire.

Long story short: I've had 1.5 Mbps DSL for years. I found I could
upgrade to 6.0 Mbps service and did. Earthlink sent me a new modem. New
modem would only get 1.5 Mbps. Two hours on the phone to India and we gave
up and they made a trouble ticket to AT&T to check the line. The AT&T line
guy checked the line to the box on the side of the house and said it was
perfect.

I disconnected the house and plugged in a single 30 foot telephone cord from
the AT&T box directly into the DSL modem. No change, 1.5 Mbps.

Today the guy from India calls and tells me the AT&T guy said the problem
was in the house wires. I said, nope... I disconnected the house and ran a
direct 30 foot wire. He said, "Oh well, the problem could be in that 30
foot wire."

Just a sanity check here before I call them back and start yelling, that's
an absolutely absurd statement isn't it?

Yes. They're probably forgotten to reconfigure the DSLAM.

That was my first thought.

The OP could interrogate his modem and determine the attenuation on
his line. The following is what my modem tells me:

Local Tx. Power(dB) : 11.12 Remote Tx.Power(dB) : 18.6
Local Line Atten(dB) : 50.0 Remote Line Atten(dB) : 25.5
Local SNR Margin(dB) : 31.5 Remote SNR Margin(dB) : 24.0

I would repeat the above test with and without the 30ft cord.

This is my ISP's blurb on the subject:
http://www.internode.on.net/resident..._adsl/extreme/

It includes a graph of speed versus attenuation (which is related to
the distance from the exchange).

One more thought. Let's say the OP was originally on a 1.5Mbps/256Kbps
asymmetric service. I suggest that the OP now uploads a big file to
his web space via FTP, or emails a large file to himself. If the
upload speed is still capped at 256Kbps, then that would indicate a
DSLAM configuration problem.

- Franc Zabkar