Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dallas Dallas is offline

Default Absurd, right? The 30 foot phone line

"Dave Platt" wrote in message

Just so you can be sure... I'd suggest re-doing the test, with the DSL
modem plugged directly into the demarc connector using a short 6'
cable.

I'd love to but I just don't have the 30' Ethernet cable.

But, I just tested the 30' phone line with a meter and it shows continuity
between all the connector blades and it draws just 2 ohms on each wire, so
it's looks fine. I reconnected the direct connect and am running on it now.
Still no change 1647 download 644 upload.

megabits/second, when the modem is jacked directly into the demarc,
then you *definitely* have line problems that AT&T should fix.

The AT&T guy connected a laptop to his box and ran his tests with that. He
said the line was good.

I keep getting the feeling that the Earthlink software didn't upgrade the
line to 6.0 Mbps.

:-/

Dallas

If the DSL modem says that you've got a higher line rate, but you
can't actually download at more than a fraction of that rate, then
the problem lies elsewhere (maybe in your house Ethernet wiring, maybe
in the DSL modem configuration, maybe at the ISP end due to some sort
of data throttling or over-subscription of their backbone).

--
Dave Platt AE6EO