Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy Michael Kennedy is offline

Default Absurd, right? The 30 foot phone line

"Dallas" wrote in message
m...
I realize this is the electronics.repair group and not a computer group,
but my question is really about wire.

Long story short: I've had 1.5 Mbps DSL for years. I found I could
upgrade to 6.0 Mbps service and did. Earthlink sent me a new modem. New
modem would only get 1.5 Mbps. Two hours on the phone to India and we
gave up and they made a trouble ticket to AT&T to check the line. The
AT&T line guy checked the line to the box on the side of the house and
said it was perfect.

I disconnected the house and plugged in a single 30 foot telephone cord
from the AT&T box directly into the DSL modem. No change, 1.5 Mbps.

Today the guy from India calls and tells me the AT&T guy said the problem
was in the house wires. I said, nope... I disconnected the house and ran
a direct 30 foot wire. He said, "Oh well, the problem could be in that 30
foot wire."

Just a sanity check here before I call them back and start yelling, that's
an absolutely absurd statement isn't it?

Dallas

If you had the problem with the 30' cable also, that means it is on the
phone company's side. I HATE dealing with foreign tech support!!! They are
almost always incompetent and always imply you are stupid and don't get what
is going on. Why must we outsource everything from the USA. And people
wonder why there are no jobs here.

Mike