Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chuck Chuck is offline

Default Absurd, right? The 30 foot phone line

On Wed, 28 May 2008 14:31:22 -0500, "Dallas"
wrote:

I realize this is the electronics.repair group and not a computer group, but
my question is really about wire.

Long story short: I've had 1.5 Mbps DSL for years. I found I could
upgrade to 6.0 Mbps service and did. Earthlink sent me a new modem. New
modem would only get 1.5 Mbps. Two hours on the phone to India and we gave
up and they made a trouble ticket to AT&T to check the line. The AT&T line
guy checked the line to the box on the side of the house and said it was
perfect.

I disconnected the house and plugged in a single 30 foot telephone cord from
the AT&T box directly into the DSL modem. No change, 1.5 Mbps.

Today the guy from India calls and tells me the AT&T guy said the problem
was in the house wires. I said, nope... I disconnected the house and ran a
direct 30 foot wire. He said, "Oh well, the problem could be in that 30
foot wire."

Just a sanity check here before I call them back and start yelling, that's
an absolutely absurd statement isn't it?

Dallas

I had a problem with AT&T DSL for over 2 years. Their India based
tech support is the worse I've ever seen but if you can get bumped up
to someone in the U.S. the chance of talking to a knowledgable person
is quite high. It sounds like you are probably too far from the
switch for 6 Mbps service. My problem, as I surmised from the first,
was the wire pair was faulty. They put their meter on my wire pair
over and over and said it was perfect but what they were measuring was
leakage between the two wires. The problem was a poor connection on
one of the two wires. Changing the wire pair after all that time
cured the problem. Chuck