Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rich Webb Rich Webb is offline

Default Absurd, right? The 30 foot phone line

On Wed, 28 May 2008 14:31:22 -0500, "Dallas"
wrote:

Today the guy from India calls and tells me the AT&T guy said the problem
was in the house wires. I said, nope... I disconnected the house and ran a
direct 30 foot wire. He said, "Oh well, the problem could be in that 30
foot wire."

Just a sanity check here before I call them back and start yelling, that's
an absolutely absurd statement isn't it?

Not completely. I "could" levitate if all of the quantum particles in
me decided to move upwards at the same time. The probability is pretty
damned low but it's non-zero, therefore "could" is technically
correct.

If you tell them that you ran a second cable directly from the NID to
the modem and STILL get the same results, then the probability that
it's on the phone company wiring is pretty high, approaching
certainty.

On the other hand, there's a non-zero probability that I'll suddenly
levitate AND do a loop-dee-loop ...

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA