Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Lavatory Pans

"Huge" wrote in message
On 2008-05-27, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"dennis@home" writes:

"petercharlesfagg" wrote in message
My wife and I as we increase in years find it more and more difficult
to use these low profile lavatories.

They may be all the vogue and an essential for 'modern' homes but are
the very devil to stand up from as the joints sieze up!

We have been looking and asking in B&Q, Bathstore, Homebase, General
plumbers etc. to obtain the old, dare I say it, 'Bog standard loo'!

Nobody appears to stock such items any longer!

Can anyone suggest an online supplier, we have tried using Google etc.
but it always comes up as the so called 'modern' design!

Just do what I did for my dad.. put the pan on a raised platform.
His is 3" higher than normal now.

Additionally or as an alternative, fit grab handles to the wall
if it's in a corner. You can get grab rails to install alongside
if it's not against a wall. Obviously, any such items need to be
very well secured, as they may need to take the weight of someone
who grabs one when falling.

I have good news and bad news; the good news is that my mother, who is
disabled,
has a "raised" toilet pan - the actual pan is taller than a "normal" one,
and
therefore easier to get up from(+). The bad news is that she is in the
USA, and
I therefore have no idea if such things are available here(*). I can get
her to
tell me the manufacturers name on it, if that would help?

(* Provision for disabled people in the USA seems to be *way* better than
here.
Disabled parking spaces everywhere and vicious enforcement. Grab rails in
Depot [I put one up over her bath]. At least 2 shops in the small town she
lives
in selling nothing but aids for the disabled.)

Really?
I just phone the local council and get them to pop around and put them up
where needed.
No need to pop to a shop to buy anything even though they have them in B&Q.

They supply, grab rails, toilet seat extentions, chairs, commodes, walking
frames, toilet frames, etc. all free.