Edwin Pawlowski

Default 12 1/2 planer doesn't like 12 inch wide boards much

"Upscale" wrote in message news:VVPWa.75157

How about a hypothetical question? Could you fasten a perfectly flat board
to the working piece and use that as the bottom board in a planer?

Yes, but since you are fasteing a less than perfect boad, you will still get
a less than perfect board when done. It will still transfer te
inpercetions.

Does a
planer push down hard enough to transfer any cupping of the working piece

the bottom mounted perfectly flat board? I'm guessing there would still be
some difficulties here.

I don't have a jointer yet. I tried to remove some cupping with a planer.
No luck, It needs a jointer. Yes, the pressure can flatten the board, but
it does not remove the raised portion.

It sounds like a jointer and a planer are both
absolute necessities when it comes to properly squaring up stock.

Yes, I hope to have a jointer by the end of the year. Glad I have the
planer, but you really need both.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome