Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Rewiring an outside motion sensor floodlight

On May 25, 8:44*pm, wrote:
Hi,
Is it possible to open up and rewire a motion sensor floodlight so the
motion sensor part is disabled? The motion sensor is not working on a
floodlight outside of my house and I'd rather have it just work with
the switch anyway. I know they're cheap but a trip to home depot is a
pain in the neck for me.

.
Yes.
You are getting basically the same info from various posters.
Lets try and simplify this.
Make sure the circuit is switched/turned off.
In the wiring box behind the light fixture.
The white wire from the supply should and probably goes directly to
the white wire to the lamp or lamps. Leave this alone.
The black (live) wire from the supply (switch)** takes electrcity into
the sensor that turns on the light. Disconnect the black wire to the
sensor.
The sensor is a sort of switch operated by night time and motion etc.
Also disconnect the red sensor wire from the black wire*** going to
the lights. You indicate the sensor is broken, so that what seems to
be happening is that nothing is coming out of the sensor on the red
wire to turn on the light/s.
Cut back or tape off the red and black wires of the sensor; they will
now be dead/not used.
Finally; the black wire coming from the switch** connect to the black
wire going the lamps***.
Turn the power back on again and when the switch is turned on the
black live wire*** will take electrcity directly to the black wire to
the lamps** and they should go on.