Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Chandler Jim Chandler is offline

Default Lathe question

Jim Wilkins wrote:

On May 24, 10:48 pm, Jim Chandler wrote:

The diameter of the part started at about 1/2" and the length is about
2". I an turning it with a 3/16 grade 5 bolt run all the way through it
and am chucked (three jaw) on the bolt.
Jim-

A 1/2" solid steel rod held in a collet could deflect that much from a
roughing cut. I'd chuck the 3/16" bolt in close, center-drill it, put
the part back on it and hold the far end steady with the tailstock.
You can use an indicator to check if the center hole runs true and see
if it shifts when you run the tailstock center in.

A Grade 5 bolt isn't any stiffer than an unmarked one.

Jim Wilkins

That's true, now that I think of it. The grade only signifies tension
strength. DUH! Using the tail stock is not a bad idea either. Thanks,
Jon.

Jim