Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default CMOS DRAM chips and static

Eeyore wrote in
:

bz wrote:

As I said before, current from charge on the chip is NOT a significant
factor.

It's the bloody DISCHARGE current through next to zero ohms that does
the damage you fathead.

VOLTAGE from charges on the chip ARE the hazard.

As well.

Do your own calculations and stop calling people names.

Stop talking ignorant DRIVEL and go learn something.

Ever wondered why tote bins for electronic parts are made of high
resistivity black plastic and not aluminium ?

Just about EVERYONE in this thread has corrected your insane ideas yet
you still presevere with them.

To create the anti-static effect, the black or silver bags are
***slightly***conductive
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_bag

Says NOTHING about high current being a hazard.

It's important to discharge at a slow rate,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_mat

This is for a floor mat, used to discharge the static build up of someone
walking across a room.
It has NO bearing upon your claim that a high CURRENT can be discharged from
a chip causing damage to the chip
WITHOUT the chip having a high static voltage on it to start with.

The World's First Real ESD Safe Foam
Amazing Constant Surface Resistivity 10^6 – 10^7
http://exdron.com/e-p-foamd.htm

sales hype. No documentation claiming that high CURRENT is a hazard in the
absence of a high voltage charge.

http://zotefoams.com/pages/EN/techinfosheets/TIS17.pdf

This MIGHT have some bearing on your claims in that the resistance specs for
'anti static foam' have a range of values, but it gives no other support for
your claims.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...sipative+fo a
m+resistivity&btnG=Search

Useless google search. Show me something that supports your claim, don't send
me on a scavenger hunt.

Now go and take your IGNORANT ideas elsewhere.

I would rather learn than remain ignorant and spread apparently
'superstitious nonsense' as you appear to be doing.

I agree that for some things, such as shipping containers, conductive foam is
better.

But I see absolutely no reason for not wrapping a sheet of aluminum foil
around a chip to protect it [providing care is used in transferring the chip
to the foil], or wrapping foil around some non conductive foam and then
poking chips into the foam through the foil [again, taking care when picking
up the chip and bringing it into contact with the foil].

I think your idea about high current discharge is WRONG, because, as I have
tried to show you with a few calculations, there ain't enough electrons 'in
the chip' to damage the chip due to high current UNLESS the chip has a high
static charge on it already!

Since some chips can be damaged by voltages of 10 volts [ten!], the VOLTAGE
is the hazard, NOT the current.

[quote from esdfunds1print.pdf from
http://www.esda.org/esd_fundamentals.html]
Many electronic components are susceptible to ESD damage at relatively low
voltage levels. Many are susceptible at less than 100 volts and many disk
drive components have sensitivities below 10 volts.
[end quote]

There is quite a bit of interesting stuff on that web site but I see NOTHING
about 'high current discharge' damage due to shorting pins of a chip
together.

Again, I think that is pure nonsense.
If you can support it, I will gladly change my opinion.

If you call me names and curse at me, I will stop reading your posts.

I am only willing to spend my time talking with those that have enough SELF
RESPECT that they can afford to treat others with respect also.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap