Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] robinstoddart@gmail.com is offline

Default Lathe question

On May 25, 8:46*am, Dan@ (Dan H) wrote:
*.006" is great compared to my lathe.
A few strokes with a file should take care of that.

This is not correct. A file is completely inappropriate for this
problem. The only reason anyone should use a file on a lathe is to
take an edge off (chamfer or radius) at a low RPM while paying a lot
of attention as to where the file, and his/her apendages are located.

I've never seen an application where a file yields a better result
than a correctly formed cutting tool, cutting under appropriate
conditions (RPM, feedrate, tool and workpiece overhang, cutting fluid,
etc). I'd be very impressed to see anyone file a taper out of a
workpiece faster than they can adjust their cutting parameters and
actually perform the operation correctly(!)

Not to mention using a file on a lathe is really dangerous (see pics
from thread several months ago - see if you can find the file among
the twisted flesh and blood).

As we've now found out, the length to diameter ratio on the OP's setup
is the cause of this issue. Karl's suggestion is right on the mark.

Regards,

Robin