Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Lathe question

Jim Chandler wrote:

I have a Smithy 1220 lathe/mill and was turning a 3/16" threaded coupler
down yesterday and I noticed that there is apparently a taper in it.
The end away from the chuck is about .006 wider than the end near the
chuck.

What was the l/d (length to diameter) ratio of the part your were machining?
Can you rig a test indicator to your carrage and indicate the side of chuck?
Might give you an idea if your headstock is mis aligned with ways.

Worn jaws can do it also. Wooped ways also.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller