Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default CMOS DRAM chips and static

Gareth Magennis wrote:

I always know when the humidity is low because then every time I get out of
my car I get a shock when I touch the bodywork.

Many, many years ago I was working as an AV techician.

I was setting up a multi-screen projection rig in a premium Kensington, London
hotel. It was very new and had air-conditioning throughout. It also seemed to
have polyester carpets everywhere.

I was unable to get the kit to work since every time I plugged it into the
mains socket, it blew a 13A plugtop fuse (in the UK we have fuses in the mains
plugs).

In desperation, I called the office for backup. (They provided more fuses btw.
Every one of them blew.)

Simply pointing my finger at the telephone dial created a static discharge that
sent out a 'dial pulse'.

Needless to say, we informed the client that we could not proceed and
recommended a better (one with less static electricity) venue in the future.

Graham.