Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Hardince HC Chucker -- someone needs help

On Fri, 23 May 2008 07:12:46 -0500, Ignoramus20727

On 2008-05-23, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Thu, 22 May 2008 20:07:01 -0600, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

Ignoramus14615 wrote:

Do you use a tapping head or what? How do you hold taps?

Don't know about Gunner but here is what I do:
http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/e...hofholders.jpg

What's the advantage over simply holding the tap in the chuck? Up to
3/8 or so an Albrecht chuck works fine for me. For larger taps, where
the Albrecht may release when backing out, I use a keyed chuck.

So, Ned, does the tap ever slip inside the chuck?

The last time I can recall a problem was tapping 3/4-10 holes in a big
piece of 1-1/4" Blanchard ground plate. The tap I had on hand looked
OK, but on close inspection was dull. With a new tap I was able to
drive the tap in a 5/8" ball bearing chuck.

I have a tap driver that has an adjustable clutch and end float, but
about the only thing I use it for is tapping the ends of 80-20 or Item
aluminum extrusion. You occasionally get a length that's unusually
gummy and the clutch helps to avoid buggering the hole.

--
Ned Simmons