Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stuart & Kathryn Fields Stuart & Kathryn Fields is offline

Default tuned exhaust for a Lycoming 0320

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
Well, I guess you don't even need pipe or tubing. Could be anything that
bends easily. What about using ethafoam cylinders the right diameter.
Sorta like those floating things kids use in the pool, only smaller in
diameter. Shape the pieces and glue them together. Once you like the
shape, give each piece a coat of 4 oz fiberglass cloth, using your
favorite resin.
Maybe ABS plastic water pipe. Cut, notch and bend as needed, then heat
weld the joints. Add stiffeners as needed on the inside of bends so they
don't get in the way at the mufffler shop.

Pete Stanaitis

Thanks for the ideas. I'm finding that with the flex conduit I can cut 4
equal length pieces and squiggle them around all at the same time and come
up with a good solution. To do one pipe at a time it is very hard to get
from point A to point B and end up with 4 pipes of the same length. It is a
trial and error process that involves many trials. Rob Fraser touted a kit
that could help but the kit is $800. If I was in the tuned exhaust business
this would be a good deal. Another suggestion invovle "bendable" rather
than flexible tubing such as used in hot water heater installations. This
sounds good because you can start with 4 pices of equal length and squiggle
until you get therm right. I have the engine setting where I can get to it
and the 4-into-one attached to the frame and all I should have to do is
squiggle them in and then make sure they don't move from there to the tube
bender. In theory I should be able to get the headers without any welded
joints between the engine and collector.

Stu