Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

Default CMOS DRAM chips and static

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote
Eeyore wrote:

Wrap some aluminium foil around a small piece of expanded
polystyrene,
then you can just push the chips into the sandwich and keep the lot
in
a plastic box. The foil shorts all the pins together so there can
be
no potential difference between any.

Aluminium foil is a BAD idea. In the event that there is any
appreciable
charge on a given pin, pushing it into aluminium foil will discharge
it
*quickly* and the resulting current may kill it.

I've just received some kits from Jaycar where they've used this very
method. I must admit to being surprised - everyone else seems to use
the
correct foam.

Are there any Data to show the actual risk involved using this method?

See manufacturers' advice.

I accept that best practice is always best, but what do we know about
the
reality of the situation?
Don't forget we are discussing the storage of small numbers of IC's in
somebodys workshop.

A small sheet of conductive foam isn't expensive and I keep all the small
pieces that ICs come shipped in. These often fit small storage drawers
very
nicely.

Graham

I do the same as I get lots of it with chips that don't even need it. The
OP I presume doesn't have any. Anyway best practice is obviously to use the
right stuff, in the meantime the foil should provide a degree of protection
better than nothing. I don't think I will be recommending foil in the
future though!

Gareth.