Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default OT : If you ever go across the sea to Ireland.....

"Adrian" wrote in message
Hi Bob

Bob Mannix wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
HI Andy

On 2008-05-22 07:29:11 +0100, Adrian said:
You're absolutely right - you can fly to Cork.
Many people who have filled in our e-petition have their own reasons
for wanting to bring their own cars / vans etc, and bring them to Cork
rather then Rosslare on the East coast.
Yes, and I've done that on several occasions and for that matter to
Dublin.
OK

Parents with young kids prefer the shorter driving distance (landing
in Cork removes 4 - 5 hours from the journey at the start and end of
the holiday.
So one answer there is to factor this into the holiday. For example,
add a couple of extra days and make overnight stops. It isn't as
though there aren't attractive places to visit on these routes to and
from the ferries.
That's fine - but most holiday lets are on a weekly basis - so you'd
either need to take a couple of extra days over your holiday to allow
for the travelling, or persuade the owner to let you the property for 5
days rather than 7....

Well, when we used even the Rosslare route, we caught a ferry at AFAICR
2.00am on the Saturday (drive to Swansea and have a snooze in the car
from 11.00 to boarding, arrive at 6-7am and then drive to West Cork
(Adrigole) ready to use the accomodation. On return ferry was at 7.30pm
ish on the Saturday so set off in the morning as per usual. Aside from
drive home at the end, all quite easy to do without extending holiday.
Bit of driving across southern Ireland but not bad. Not sure it was 4
hours extra! To plug the area, if you want a sailing holiday, I can
thoroughly recommend:

http://www.westcorksailing.com/

Thanks for the comments.
I'm fairly sure that the westcorksailing people signed our e-petition -
istr that they were commenting on the lack of UK business as a result of
the ferry closure.

I'm not doubting that you can do it - but I know from the comments on the
e-petition

Well it wouldn't be a show stopper from my point of view and my
circumstances have changed so a return trip is not likely(!) but I have
signed the petition anyway as I wouldn't like to see the nice people at West
Cork Sailing go out of business!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)