Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CMOS DRAM chips and static

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:
Wrap some aluminium foil around a small piece of expanded polystyrene,
then you can just push the chips into the sandwich and keep the lot in
a plastic box. The foil shorts all the pins together so there can be
no potential difference between any.

Aluminium foil is a BAD idea. In the event that there is any appreciable
charge on a given pin, pushing it into aluminium foil will discharge it
*quickly* and the resulting current may kill it.

I've just received some kits from Jaycar where they've used this very
method. I must admit to being surprised - everyone else seems to use the
correct foam.

--
*We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.