Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling fan light bulb "go green" options?

On 5/21/2008 4:53 PM spake thus:

Hi all,
I have ceiling fans throughout my house and they all have dimmer
knobs and sliding switches. I bought at Wal mart some compact
flourescent bulbs. I put in one, and it looked great, with no heat
output. I put in the other three and heard a buzzing noise. I quickly
cut off the lights and took a look at one of the bulbs. In teeny tiny
print on the neck of the bulbs it says "Not for use with dimmers." So
I looked at the other bulbs at Wal mart that are compact floursecents
and same deal, but nothing on the box about this.

Get CFLs made for use with dimmers. (It'll say so on the package.)

Aren't the regular incandescent bulbs being phased out in 2009?

No, this is overreaction to rumors (and *planned* legislation by a few
bodies, the U.S. government and the state of California to *eventually*
phase out incandenscents). Don't sweat it just yet.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill