Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling fan light bulb "go green" options?

Hi all,
I have ceiling fans throughout my house and they all have dimmer
knobs and sliding switches. I bought at Wal mart some compact
flourescent bulbs. I put in one, and it looked great, with no heat
output. I put in the other three and heard a buzzing noise. I quickly
cut off the lights and took a look at one of the bulbs. In teeny tiny
print on the neck of the bulbs it says "Not for use with dimmers." So
I looked at the other bulbs at Wal mart that are compact floursecents
and same deal, but nothing on the box about this.

Aren't the regular incandescent bulbs being phased out in 2009? If so,
what are my options? I'm trying to do the go green thing.

Thanks,
Josh
http://www.pingeek.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hi all,
I have ceiling fans throughout my house and they all have dimmer
knobs and sliding switches. I bought at Wal mart some compact
flourescent bulbs. I put in one, and it looked great, with no heat
output. I put in the other three and heard a buzzing noise. I quickly
cut off the lights and took a look at one of the bulbs. In teeny tiny
print on the neck of the bulbs it says "Not for use with dimmers." So
I looked at the other bulbs at Wal mart that are compact floursecents
and same deal, but nothing on the box about this.

Aren't the regular incandescent bulbs being phased out in 2009? If so,
what are my options? I'm trying to do the go green thing.

Thanks,
Josh
http://www.pingeek.com

They don't currently make a good selection of dimmable CFL. Given time and
less government interference, the manufacturers will develope what people
want

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 7:13*am, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

want- Hide quoted text -

I found these:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ct+flourescent

however, these all appear to be 75 watt and the warning on the fan
light fixtures say not to 60 over 60 watts.
Also not sure of the quality of these.

Josh
http://www.pingeek.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/2008 9:09 AM spake thus:

On May 22, 7:13 am, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

The wattage rating is for incandescent bulbs, because of the heat
generated by them, not the actual power consumed. You can safely ignore
this for CFLs (which generate some heat, but less than an equivalent
incandescent).

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 May 2008 23:04:13 -0400, "Mark" wrote:

[snip]

You're thinking of Analog TVs! Broadcasters are all going digital in 2009
so your analog TV will go dim on you!

In case you didn't know, that doesn't apply to low power and
translator stations.