Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CFL's & smoke

On 5/21/2008 5:14 AM Jim Yanik spake thus:

(Don Klipstein) wrote in
:

I have heard of CFLs with design that hasthe electronics blow when
the bulb part has aged into "a state of failure" (my words). I do
think that manufacturers of those would do well to add a fuse that
blows as a result of electronics failure, and blows to keep the
electronics (fuse-acting subset thereof) from having to serve as a
fuse with smoke output.

It's a shame that American businesses have so much pressure for
profitibility on short-term basis that they are sometimes rewarded
rather than punished for improving their bottom line by layoffs of
their employees that will make them grow longer-term (salespeople that
gain new customers and R&D).

The CFL is a throwaway item once it's failed;there's no point in putting
in a fuse to protect the electronics,they will not be reused.

You seem to have missed the point; the fuse is there to protect *us*
from smoking electronics.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill