Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Hardince HC Chucker -- someone needs help

On 2008-05-21, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus12247 wrote:

Great. Pete, there is nothing that you can possibly do to break these
drives with your Bridgeport mill, except for one thing: switch the
motor off by using your reversing switch on the mill, while the drive
is running. So keep this in mind. I am sure you knew, but I wanted to
say anyway.

The quietness factor alone is worth $120. So your speed adjustments,
and dynamic braking, are freebies.

The existing drum switch will be removed, so no chance of switching
under power. I may mount the whole VFD up in that position since it's
not very heavy. Less fab work than a swing arm. Dunno, I'll see what
makes the most sense.

I would not remove it.

I usually flip this drum switch whenever I change the mill's gearing
from main gear to back gear. That way, forward on the drive always
means forward. Think about it.

I'm not too concerned for the one time every other year that I might use
the back gear.