Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot Stealth Pilot is offline

Default Threadlockers and superglue

On Tue, 20 May 2008 20:48:49 -0700, "William Noble"
wrote:

"Dave Martindale" wrote in message
"Michael Koblic" writes:

1) How does a $14-threadlocker differ from a $2 Superglue? I gather the
threadlockers are anaerobic. Does that mean that superglue is aerobic?

Cyanoacrylate (super glue) sets on contact with water vapour in the air
(or on your skin, if applied there). It's stored in a container that is
sealed to prevent contact with the air.

Threadlockers are weird plastics that remain liquid as long as they are
in contact with oxygen. They are stored in bottles that are permeable
to oxygen, and which have a significant air space above the liquid.
They set only when you isolate them from oxygen, such as in the space
between a bolt and nut thread.

Dave

no, the above statement about superglue is just plain wrong - it does NOT
cure upon contact with moisture in the air - you are thinking of Silicone
rubber - I use superglue on woodturning projects (some examples might be
seen in the gallery on my web page or at www.woodturners.org) - and I keep
the bottle in my shop, open to the air - the current 1 pint bottle has been
there for 3 years and it has not hardened up. What makes it harden up is
lack of air and contact with a foreign substance - in particular there is
something in the fungus that gets into wood that really catalyzes the
reaction - but for sure it isn't moisture.

for cyanoacrylate glue (alpha cyanoacrylate ester) it does indeed get
set by contact with moisture.

I dont know what glue you are using but it doesnt sound like cyano.
Stealth Pilot