Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default OT : If you ever go across the sea to Ireland.....

Hi All

Not specifically DIY - unless you count the fact that I diy'd the
website g - but I know from comments that many of the folks here
have enjoyed visits or longer stays in the Emerald Isle....

There used to be a Ferry which ran from Swansea to Cork - and saved
a long and inconvenient 4-hour drive from Rosslare for people visiting
the South-West of Ireland.
In fairness, it had a somewhat chequered history - but that was largely
due to the outdated boat and the poor management...
....but at least it was a link.

Back in October 2006 the owners of the boat suddenly sold the boat and
suspended the service... and, despite vague promises & rumours, there
has been no sign of the service resuming since.

Much of the economy of West Cork and Kerry is based on tourism - mostly
from the UK and EU. Many of these people used to bring their cars - but
the more difficult journey has seen visitor numbers dropping
dramatically over the last two years.

We've diy-d a website, with an online e-petition (chance for you to
'diy' something!) which is part of a campaign to focus attention on the
problems caused by the loss of the ferry and bring pressure to bear on
those people who can do something about it to get the service reinstated.

Apologies for the bandwidth - but if you'd care to drop along to

www.bringbacktheswanseacorkferry.com

and add your support to our e-petition then we'd be most grateful !

Slainte
Adrian