Posted to alt.home.repair
Calab Calab is offline

Default CFL's & smoke

I've been reading some of the recent posts, on CFL's. Maybe I haven't read
enough of them, to find the same thing, which happened to mine.

First, I'm really disappointed, they don't have the life span, as normal
bulbs. My packages claim to have a life span, up to 7 years. That's probably
the "got cha", the "up to". But, I've never had to replace my bulbs, as often
as I do these. I've now replaced a grand total of 14, which failed
prematurely. This is in a 5 month time span. These are/were the dimmable
mini's, 75 watt, with a power factor of 0.90. They are listed as UL, and
energy star, and claims to use only 15 watts.

Something else about these things. I've now had 3 of them go out, which let
out a puff of smoke. It's a foul smelling odor. Exactly what is being
released?

I've either had very good luck or very bad luck as far a CFL lifespan
goes. I have many that are over 8 years and still going strong. I did
get one batch of six where the bulbs didn't even last 3 months.

I sent an email to the manufacturer, letting them know where they were
purchased, the date code on the bulb, about the installation and short
lifespan. They happily mailed out replacements and they're going
strong. It can't hurt to drop them a message.

Did you purchase all the bulbs at the same time, or from the same
store? All one brand? I'd try another brand just to see if it makes a
difference.

I also mark the installation date on the base of the bulb so I can get
a good idea of how long these things acutally last.

--
Fight Usenet Spam!!! - http://improve-usenet.org:80/

Want a great newsgroup reader that will filter out the flood of
newgroup spam?
Try MesNews - http://www.mesnews.net/gb/

If you want your posts to be seen, DON'T USE GOOGLE GROUPS!