Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default APC Smart-UPS does nothing after non-use

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , Brian
wrote:
clifto wrote:
Brian wrote:
clifto wrote:
I buy through local alarm companies. Call two or three and at least
one

will
sell over the counter.
Just got 'em (via eBay) -- "Rhino" brand; about US$16 each, including
shipping. Look good, and hopefully will work well! Best retail price
saw, plus shipping, was about $32 each.

I'll check next time. My last set was local and in between those prices.

Good! There's only one batteries-only dealer here in town, and it is
about a 15 mile round trip. So add ~$3 for gas ...

Installed the new batteries yesterday. As warned, the lugs were
smaller, so I had to crimp-down one connector slightly to get a tighter
fit.

Also, the last connection was shocking! Actually sparking -- one huge
bolt, and I'm glad I wasn't in its way. There's a good-sized capacitor
internally to the UPS, and my guess is that the batteries needed to
recharge it upon connection.

The UPS then worked normally! So yes, as the early responders answered,
it was simply dead batteries. Will recycle the old ones, and keep the
UPS plugged-in continuously so that hopefully these new batteries will
last a long time.

I just replaced the batteries in a non responding SMART UPS. What a stupid
UPS.
The batteies were for a 1500 watt unit, heavy.

greg

I don't think I'm quite following that ...

Arfa