Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default interior door replacement -- nonstandard sizes

On May 19, 11:35*pm, evodawg wrote:
pipedown wrote:
There is at least 2 inches of solid wood at the top and bottom of the door
which can be trimmed. *Try pinching the door in the store or use a stud
finder to determine the exact cutoff limits.

If it were much shorter than you would need a solid door but you should be
able to trim 2" total, 3" will be close. *Look for a spec sheet for the
door, it may be there.

Cut as much as you can from the bottom then the rest from the top so it
looks good.

Dude you never cut the top of a door. NEVER! If you cut the solid piece out
of the bottom you reuse it in the hollow area. 2-3 inches off the bottom of
door is not that big a deal. Your largest panels are at the bottom. as you
go up they get smaller, including the stiles.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Dude you never cut the top of a door. NEVER!

Never? And in all caps? That's a pretty drastic statement.

Consider a 6 panel pine door that needs 5 - 6" cut off. True
situation - basement bathroom remodel in a house with a really low
basement ceiling.

If I cut everything off the bottom, it would have look really out of
balance and the door knob would have been down around my knees.
Instead I determined the proportional differences of the top and
bottom rails and divided my cuts proportionally. Came out great.