Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Threadlockers and superglue

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Another problem with threadlockers I just miserably discovered was that
they are *lethal* to some plastics. I was trying to assemble some banana
jacks with brass nuts on brass posts with plastic standoff bushings for
insulation, and the plastic parts literally crumbled after a few minutes
from the bit of Loctite 242 that wicked over from the metal. I had
different jacks that must have used a different plastic species, because
they were OK with the same contact. I see the Loctite sez "not normally
recommended for use on plastics", but really, what a weasling warning.

IIRC loctite type products also give a significantly lower strength bond
on brass than they do on steel.