Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default interior door replacement -- nonstandard sizes

nnnnnnnnn wrote:
I just had a number of interior doors replaced in an old house that I am
having renovated. The door replacements were done to make all of the
interior doors in the house match instead of having mismatched door
styles throughout the house. The original doors were 77" to 78" high.
I had the doors replaced with inexpensive hollow core Masonite veneer
6-panel door slabs.

The replacement door slabs were 80 inches high, so they had to be cut.
But the cuts meant that either the top or bottom ended up as just an
open hollow space between the front and back veneers. Somehow that
doesn't seem right to me. What do contractors normally do in this
situation? Do they really just leave the top or bottom open like that?
Do they try to fill in the space with a replacement filler piece?

When I search in stores and on the Internet, I can't seem to find
interior door slabs that come in any size less than 80' high. Am I
missing something? Don't manufacturers sell hollow core doors that are
78" high so that when they are cut a little shorter there is still a
solid end piece at the top and bottom?

Is my only other option to use solid core replacement interior doors?
And, if so, do they sell solid core interior replacement doors that are
78 inches high?

Yes, you can piece in the filler strip, but it is a pain in the ass. You
may need to cut from the top and bottom of the blank, to avoid trimming
away the entire strip on one end. Your contractor is an idiot, or lazy.
I wouldn't accept the work.

--
aem sends...