Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jordan Jordan is offline

Default Threadlockers and superglue

Michael Koblic wrote:

1) How does a $14-threadlocker differ from a $2 Superglue? I gather the
threadlockers are anaerobic. Does that mean that superglue is aerobic?

I'm told Loctite type products are sold in containers that allow air to
permeate through the walls. So, don't decant the stuff into glass jars
for example, or it'll all go off.

My nephew had a toy slot car, where the transmission pinion had come
loose from the motor shaft. Man in shop selling these cars said it was a
common problem, but to just use some superglue to fix. I thought Loctite
would be better, but it didn't take long for it to come loose again. I
then tried the superglue, and it didn't happened again. Probably the
wrong grade of Loctite for the job, but I have a new respect for the glue.

Jordan