Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Threadlockers and superglue

"Michael Koblic" wrote:

I have never used threadlockers before (but I have only recently discovered
the benefits of internal combustion engine, so forgive me!).

I spent some considerable time on the various web-sites and got only limited
answers to my questions. Here they are, I would be grateful for any advice:

1) How does a $14-threadlocker differ from a $2 Superglue?

Well superglue can be desolved in acetone. At temperatures over 250F
superglue gives up.

Blue loctite generally comes loose with wrench force. Red, well you have to
use heat. I've loosely assembled a nut and bolt using red and then tried to
disassemble it a day or so later. The bolt was distorting as the bond let
go. I was impressed.

I had to know since when the hub cracked on my varidrive, I turned off the
hub, threaded the sheeve and new hub, coated with red loctite and dutch
pinned it for extra insurance.

http://wess.freeshell.org/Driven_fro...b_dutchpin.jpg

5) Where does the "Green" threadlocker fit in strength-wise? I understand
you put it on a fastener already in place, but what kind of result can be
expected?

I've used green. A bit like blue put on the right way. I used it on spoke
nipples that tended to loosen. (Clydesdale body)

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller