Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hardince HC Chucker -- someone needs help

On Sun, 18 May 2008 17:30:03 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Ignoramus8671 wrote:
Then he showed me his Hardinge HC chucker. It did not work right. He
never ran it because of it. He hooked it up to his phase converter and
it ran, however the speed adjustment knobs never worked.

After a few minutes of running some "click" was heard and it stopped
and would not restart.

There is probably a motor starter with a thermal overload. Most
of those have to be manually reset. Usually there is a reset
button on them. But, there must be a problem causing excessive
motor current to cause that to trip. My first guess is to check
that the motor is not wired for 440 V. If it was originally,
then the thermal heaters in the motor control have to be changed
for 240 V, as the current will double.

True enough. Big problem though..those motors are single voltage.
My TFB is 440..requires a transformer. I do have a number of surplus
220 motors out of Hardinge lathes . Ive planned on doing the
conversion for a while, so havent bothered to change out the motor.

OH!..the feed motor MAY be single voltage as well. In which case..you
are well and truely screwed...they are HARD to find except off of a
carcass.

If the feed motor is 440...install a 3hp 440 motor and VFD, power from
a transformer. Btw..that is most often a DC motor that runs the
feed...but at line value. Some were 220, even on the 440 but a small
transformer took care of the power.

I used to get $500 for a used motor for HCs/DV-59s, etc etc. Now you
can buy the whole lathe for that price.

Gunner

Why is the motor that actuates the threaded rod that drives the speed
adjustment hinge, never runs?

Again, could be a voltage conversion problem, there ought to be
taps on the control transformer. After checking that, there is
most likely a phase shift cap and some relays to run the motor.
Check that the relays are working, could be dirty contacts after
long disuse, or a bad capacitor.

Jon

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.