Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus24782 Ignoramus24782 is offline

Default Hardince HC Chucker -- someone needs help

On 2008-05-18, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus8671 wrote:
Then he showed me his Hardinge HC chucker. It did not work right. He
never ran it because of it. He hooked it up to his phase converter and
it ran, however the speed adjustment knobs never worked.

After a few minutes of running some "click" was heard and it stopped
and would not restart.

There is probably a motor starter with a thermal overload. Most
of those have to be manually reset. Usually there is a reset
button on them. But, there must be a problem causing excessive
motor current to cause that to trip. My first guess is to check
that the motor is not wired for 440 V. If it was originally,
then the thermal heaters in the motor control have to be changed
for 240 V, as the current will double.

Yep. That was my suspicion too. I asked this question. The guy said
that according to the seller, "the lathe was wired for 208v".

In my experience, 440v motors just flat out do not run on 220, but the
lathe ran OK.

Why is the motor that actuates the threaded rod that drives the speed
adjustment hinge, never runs?

Again, could be a voltage conversion problem, there ought to be
taps on the control transformer. After checking that, there is
most likely a phase shift cap and some relays to run the motor.
Check that the relays are working, could be dirty contacts after
long disuse, or a bad capacitor.

Could be. I was reluctant to work on it that much due to the lathe not
being mine. I would not hesitate to buy it for very little and
fix. But as it was not mine, I decided not to mess with it too much
beyond just looking.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/