Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default re-celling batteries

Bruce wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
andrew wrote:
I'm tempted to scrap the batterry and run mine of one of those
emergency jump start thingies but then they're less than 12V.
Eh? They are a standard SLA 12v battery so as much 12 volts as anything
else that says it has a 12 volt battery.

But a cordless drill powered from an external pack isn't cordless any
more...

True, but it shares possibly the most important feature of a true
"cordless" tool, in that you aren't dependent on having a mains socket
local to the work you are doing.

How often does this occur for DIY? And if it were a regular occurrence for
me I'd get a generator. I use cordless only for the convenience of, err,
not having a cord. ;-)

I see your point, but I was thinking of the last time I used a
cordless drill, which was to fix some brackets in my caravan. I
didn't need a "lack of cord" merely something that worked without
needing a mains connection.

a 12V SLA will never give the performance and deep discharge capability
of a NiCd or NiMh pack though.

--
Cheers,

John.