Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Hacksaw frames

It is probably 20 years since I bought a new hacksaw frame.

Looking to improve my cutting precision as much as possible I have been
looking through the internet catalogues at various hacksaw frames. I cannot
make head or tail of some of the features.

Are some of the things like extra support beams and pimped-up handles
allowing up to 30,000 psi tensioning really better than the old frames?

I just went through this exercise. After considerable research, I ended
up get the Nicholson #80965. They are about $20 at Lowes. The frame is
good & solid, it's easy to get good tension on the blades, it has blade
storage, and can be set up as a stab saw (haven't tried that yet). The
rear grip fits my hand well and is very comfortable, and it has a rubber
coated gripping horn for your forward hand that is much more comfortable
than the older frames.

As for blade tension, it's hard to over tension a blade. They will last
longer & cut straighter when they are really good & tight.

Doug White