Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Boyd Carl Boyd is offline

Default ceramic tile and mild steel

"cj" wrote in message
greetings, i am planning on making a small table for our deck and i would
like to use a mosaic tile pattern for the table top so i thought that i
would make a pan out of 16 ga., turn it up side down and tack it to the
inside of the table frame, therefore giving me a flat surface to put the
tile in, and keep it flush with the top of the frame. now i am wondering
what kind of adhesive would work best to affix the tile(3/4 inch tiles
sheets with a mesh backing) to the 16 ga. the frame will be made if 3/4
square tubing that i will have powdercoated

any comments would be appreciated,cj

My daughter and I were working on a similar table yesterday. The table came
with the house when we moved in. It appears to be commercially made. It
has a sheet metal pan about an inch deep that was filled with concrete, tile
was set on the concrete It was much abbused but structurally sound. It is
heavily galvanized and has been outside in the rain and humidity in Central
Florida for the 17 years I have been here with NO rust. We had previously
removed the old tile and concrete, and yesterday's effort was to mix up 2
bags of concrete mix and apply. We crowned the surface slightly (1/8" in
30" span) so that rain will run off. We will apply the tile with thinset
mortor and seal the grout.

With out the galvanizing I would worry about rust as other folks have
pointed out.

Carl Boyd