Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default re-celling batteries

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message
,
Pete C writes
On May 18, 10:20*am, Tim Lamb wrote:
The Direct Power batteries are easily disassembled so re-celling is an
option. So.... assuming I have the cheapest possible cells... what are
my options?

How many cells have gone? (measure cell voltage under load)

er... OK. Thinking how to load the batteries and have access to the
connections. I'll get back.

Battery was flat and accessing terminals plugged into the drill not
easy. What I have done is to look at the individual cell voltage on
charge. Lowest 1.37V (4 cells), highest 1.52V (1 cell) mostly around
1.4V

The cells are by Huanyu type GNY 1.2V and 1300mAh

My suspicion is that I have internal leak issues rather than failed
cells. A few cycles of use and they perform better. Unfortunately they
are not used daily so what is expected to be a fully charged battery
only gives a short period of output.

I also have to check for *sophistication* in the charger circuit:-)

The charger, a pox on 3 legged security screws, is *sophisticated*. They
were just changing from Germanium to Silicon transistors when I knew
anything about electronics but there were 4 hefty diodes arranged as a
bridge, a mystery encapsulated box possibly a relay, an i/c and various
other bits and bobs.

Type FCS03-240, Ni-cd JOCC2-240

regards

--