Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Hinge pin door stops

wrote:
Oren wrote:

I need to install hinge pin door stops on some interior doors. I've
never seen these types of hinges before. The hinge plates are 4 inches
high, the pin is about 3 inches or more. Instead of the normal pin;
there are screw caps on the top and bottom. The pin is installed and
the caps are then screwed into place. The caps are about 5/16 long.

There are no markings on the hinges to determine the maker.

Anyone know what the hinge type is called or know of a door stop that
would work?? These doors cannot use the baseboard rigid door stop.

The caps are not long enough to engage the thread. I tried the common
door stop, but the cap is to short to attach.

What you have is a high quality hinge with a removable pin (it should
be slightly knurled on one end) and removable hinge filials. See Van
Dyke Restorers at:

http://www.vandykes.com/subcategory/25/

Scroll down to look at the range of filials.

Putting one of the rinky-dink hinge pin door stops on a door with
these type of hinges should be a criminal offence! Actually installing
hinge pin door stops on any door should be outlawed. They place
enormous strain on the hinges, the hinge screws, and even the door
itself.

And, if I can execise my pedagogy, I remember learning in a basic
physics course in college that the "ideal place" for a door stop is on
the wall where it is half way up the height of the door and one third of
the door's width out from the hinges.

That location is at the "center of percussion" of the swinging door and
will stop its motion with theoretically zero reaction on the hinges.

Course, it looks like hell placed there....

Jeff (Ducking.....)

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

On the same website you can find a large assortment of acceptable
stops, both floor- and wall-mounted. Even Ives (sold by Home Depot)
has some solid stops. Don't forget that you can always mount a
wall-mounted stop on the door itself.

If you really want to control the door and you don't care what it
looks like think about a door closer (available at the usual). That'll
stop the door banging and even allow you to have it close
automatically.