Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Hinge pin door stops

Oren wrote:

I need to install hinge pin door stops on some interior doors. I've
never seen these types of hinges before. The hinge plates are 4 inches
high, the pin is about 3 inches or more. Instead of the normal pin;
there are screw caps on the top and bottom. The pin is installed and
the caps are then screwed into place. The caps are about 5/16 long.

There are no markings on the hinges to determine the maker.

Anyone know what the hinge type is called or know of a door stop that
would work?? These doors cannot use the baseboard rigid door stop.

The caps are not long enough to engage the thread. I tried the common
door stop, but the cap is to short to attach.

Oren

Can you replace the top screw cap with a bolt having the correct threads
and of sufficient length to make it through the door stop?

Chances are the door stop will block most of the view of the bolt head,
or you could dab a little gold paint on it to make it blend in.

If the hex on the bolt is too large and interferes with installation,
then turn it down on a lathe and saw a screwdriver slot into it.

If you don't have a lathe then just chuck it in an electric drill and
use a file to "turn it down".

HTH,

Jeff

--