Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default damage from blown transformer?

On May 14, 1:06*am, "Bob F" wrote:
"N8N" wrote in message

This experience has got me thinking, though - the furnace itself does
have an electronic control board; would it be a prudent investment to
install some kind of surge suppression right at the furnace to protect
it and the air cleaner should this happen again? *The furnace is
something close to 20 years old - I forget exactly when it was
installed, but I did find the receipt for it in some old paperwork -
and I imagine finding a replacement board for that might not be so
easy/inexpensive.

A whole house surge protector would probably be your best bet.

I already have (well, had) the Siemens TVSS breaker in my panel. I'm
assuming it was functional prior to this incident. This is why I'm
thinking of adding additional point of use protection. I did find a
local source for a replacement breaker, but I'll need to get up early
to buy it (they keep contractor's hours)

Also, how is a grounding system tested? I obviously have a ground
wire running outside or I would have done something about it, but
without lots of digging, I can't determine where/how many ground rods
I actually have, and even if I did that I don't know how to evaluate
whether they're providing a good solid connection to ground. What's
the procedure for determining if a grounding system is adequate?

nate