Posted to alt.home.repair

Default damage from blown transformer?

Hi all,

I was awakened last night shortly after going to bed by what I assume
was the sound of a transformer exploding, followed shortly thereafter by
the gentle beeping of every UPS in my house. Power was restored about
half an hour ago, after I returned home from work, and I found that
several items were not working. I found three tripped breakers; one for
the general basement receptacles for which I have no explanation (the
only items plugged into that circuit was a surge suppressor for the
stereo and TV, which I'd switched off last night, and a lamp.) That one
reset OK. Another was a utility circuit in the basement; it would not
reset. I unplugged all devices and reset it. Everything went back
online OK except for of course the most expensive device plugged into
it; an electrostatic air filter for the furnace. Attempting to start
that back up resulted in an alarming blue flash and a tripped breaker.
I assume it's fux0red. Last was the upstairs circuit, same procedure,
found everything OK save for a surge strip in the bedroom. Don't have a
spare to reconnect everything but the odd thing is that it had one of
those Ionic Breeze things plugged into it. (yes, I know they're
somewhat useless, but I didn't buy it, and I can't throw it out.) The
surge strip itself smells suspiciously like smoked electronics.
Finally, I had a Siemens TVSS breaker installed in my breaker panel; it
did not trip but the "protected" light for one leg is now completely out.

Two questions; first, are electrostatic devices especially susceptible
to power surges, or is it just coincidence that I happened to have two
problems directly related to electrostatic devices? Secondly, has
anyone had any luck with going through the power company to pay for some
of this damage (the air filter is maybe 6 mos. old) or is homeowner's
insurance the place to start? If the latter, I might be tempted to pay
out of pocket to avoid a rate increase.

Fortunately, my (laptop) computer seems to have survived OK, and I
assume that SWMBO's did as well as it was plugged into a UPS which was
switched off. Also fortunately, my basement appears to be dry even
though it's been raining for several days and last night's storm was
somewhat torrential (the road to my office was flooded this AM if that
gives you any idea.)

....a somewhat unhappy
nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote in
:

Hi all,

I was awakened last night shortly after going to bed by what I assume
was the sound of a transformer exploding, followed shortly thereafter by
the gentle beeping of every UPS in my house. Power was restored about
half an hour ago, after I returned home from work, and I found that
several items were not working. I found three tripped breakers; one for
the general basement receptacles for which I have no explanation (the
only items plugged into that circuit was a surge suppressor for the
stereo

the surge protector shunts the overvoltage to ground,acting like a
temporary -short-,thus it snapped the breaker.That's why many surge strips
have an integral breaker or fuse.
Depending on the particular surge protector,they should be replaced as they
suffer some damage when they absorb surges.The bigger the surge,the greater
the damage.They may seem to work,but their surge protection will be
diminished or gone.

and TV, which I'd switched off last night, and a lamp.) That one
reset OK. Another was a utility circuit in the basement; it would not
reset. I unplugged all devices and reset it. Everything went back
online OK except for of course the most expensive device plugged into
it; an electrostatic air filter for the furnace. Attempting to start
that back up resulted in an alarming blue flash and a tripped breaker.
I assume it's fux0red.

It could be just a dirt problem and the elements need cleaning.
I'd try that first.

Last was the upstairs circuit, same procedure,
found everything OK save for a surge strip in the bedroom. Don't have a
spare to reconnect everything but the odd thing is that it had one of
those Ionic Breeze things plugged into it. (yes, I know they're
somewhat useless, but I didn't buy it, and I can't throw it out.) The
surge strip itself smells suspiciously like smoked electronics.
Finally, I had a Siemens TVSS breaker installed in my breaker panel; it
did not trip but the "protected" light for one leg is now completely out.

It sounds like one branch of the transformer let go,and the second branch
fed an unusually high voltage to your house,on one leg of the feed. Thus
the failure of the surge protectors;they did their job the best they could.

Two questions; first, are electrostatic devices especially susceptible
to power surges, or is it just coincidence that I happened to have two
problems directly related to electrostatic devices?

They have a power oscillator circuit to step up the line V to high
voltage,a few 1000 volts,and that circuit may not have much input surge
protection. so,it's likely a diode or bridge rectifier shorted,and possibly
the power transistor itself.(very likely,IMO)

Secondly, has
anyone had any luck with going through the power company to pay for some
of this damage (the air filter is maybe 6 mos. old) or is homeowner's
insurance the place to start? If the latter, I might be tempted to pay
out of pocket to avoid a rate increase.

No experience here,but I would contact the power company first.

Fortunately, my (laptop) computer seems to have survived OK, and I
assume that SWMBO's did as well as it was plugged into a UPS which was
switched off. Also fortunately, my basement appears to be dry even
though it's been raining for several days and last night's storm was
somewhat torrential (the road to my office was flooded this AM if that
gives you any idea.)

...a somewhat unhappy
nate

Meanwhile,here in central Florida,we have a drought and several nasty
forest fires burning up people's homes.

We coulda used that rain!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

I have heard of power utilities accepting responsibility for such damage in the
past. It's probably best to get in touch with yours.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 12, 6:08 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote :

[...]

Is this true even if the "protected" light is still lit? this
protector was switched completely off until the power was restored and
steady, so I am writing that breaker off as a fluke.

and TV, which I'd switched off last night, and a lamp.) That one
reset OK. Another was a utility circuit in the basement; it would not
reset. I unplugged all devices and reset it. Everything went back
online OK except for of course the most expensive device plugged into
it; an electrostatic air filter for the furnace. Attempting to start
that back up resulted in an alarming blue flash and a tripped breaker.
I assume it's fux0red.

It could be just a dirt problem and the elements need cleaning.
I'd try that first.

I will; and truth be told I was just thinking this past weekend that
it was due for a cleaning, but I think it's schmoked based on the huge
flash I got when I tried to re-energize it. I seriously doubt a
little dirt on the grids could cause something that dramatic. I'll
try it anyway though.

Last was the upstairs circuit, same procedure,
found everything OK save for a surge strip in the bedroom. Don't have a
spare to reconnect everything but the odd thing is that it had one of
those Ionic Breeze things plugged into it. (yes, I know they're
somewhat useless, but I didn't buy it, and I can't throw it out.) The
surge strip itself smells suspiciously like smoked electronics.
Finally, I had a Siemens TVSS breaker installed in my breaker panel; it
did not trip but the "protected" light for one leg is now completely out.

It sounds like one branch of the transformer let go,and the second branch
fed an unusually high voltage to your house,on one leg of the feed. Thus
the failure of the surge protectors;they did their job the best they could.

I suspect you're correct; I am also wondering if I should investigate
the grounding situation at my house, although I'm not really sure how
to assess whether my grounding is sufficient or not. Unfortunately I
ordered the TVSS breaker from Dale Electric because I was unable to
find a local source, so I will be without protection on that leg until
I can source another. Or is there another good option for whole house
protection that might be available locally?

Two questions; first, are electrostatic devices especially susceptible
to power surges, or is it just coincidence that I happened to have two
problems directly related to electrostatic devices?

They have a power oscillator circuit to step up the line V to high
voltage,a few 1000 volts,and that circuit may not have much input surge
protection. so,it's likely a diode or bridge rectifier shorted,and possibly
the power transistor itself.(very likely,IMO)

As it turns out, I just got back from buying another surge strip and
everything in the bedroom is good to go. The Ionic Breeze was
apparently switched off, and appears to be functional still, so the
only damage there was to the surge strip.

Secondly, has
anyone had any luck with going through the power company to pay for some
of this damage (the air filter is maybe 6 mos. old) or is homeowner's
insurance the place to start? If the latter, I might be tempted to pay
out of pocket to avoid a rate increase.

No experience here,but I would contact the power company first.

Yeah, I will do that tomorrow once I have a chance to try all the
major appliances, I still haven't tried the dishwasher, washing
machine, or dryer, although the only failures so far seem to be the
air filter and the one surge strip, which based on the date on the
back was over 10 years old anyway.

Fortunately, my (laptop) computer seems to have survived OK, and I
assume that SWMBO's did as well as it was plugged into a UPS which was
switched off. Also fortunately, my basement appears to be dry even
though it's been raining for several days and last night's storm was
somewhat torrential (the road to my office was flooded this AM if that
gives you any idea.)

...a somewhat unhappy
nate

Meanwhile,here in central Florida,we have a drought and several nasty
forest fires burning up people's homes.

We coulda used that rain!

I've got two overflowing cisterns, feel free to send a tank truck by
to load up!

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

I've seen that firsthand in CT when I worked a summer at a friends
electronics repair business, and we repaired a stereo and VCR that had
an argument with a utility transformer that lost it's neutral
connection. In both cases the damage was pretty minimal, limited to a
couple blown caps and a transformer at the input of the power supply
sections. Certainly the first place to start is documenting everything
and then contacting the utility.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 12, 7:13 pm, N8N wrote:
On May 12, 6:08 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote :

snip

Secondly, has
anyone had any luck with going through the power company to pay for some
of this damage (the air filter is maybe 6 mos. old) or is homeowner's
insurance the place to start? If the latter, I might be tempted to pay
out of pocket to avoid a rate increase.

No experience here,but I would contact the power company first.

Yeah, I will do that tomorrow once I have a chance to try all the
major appliances, I still haven't tried the dishwasher, washing
machine, or dryer, although the only failures so far seem to be the
air filter and the one surge strip, which based on the date on the
back was over 10 years old anyway.

OK, well, let me rephrase that. The only failures are the air filter,
one surge strip, and the dishwasher, which was installed literally the
week before we bought the house. Grr. So there will be no cleaning
of the furnace filters today.

I haven't tried the A/C yet either, which is also new.

The washer (ancient) and dryer (new) seem to be OK.

This could be an expensive experience.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have surge protectors on practically everything. I believe they are
usually only good for one shot and if bulb is out, they don't protect.
Some manufacturers will replace the surge protector and some battery
backups insure items plugged into them.

Suppose reimbursement from power company is possible but Delmarva, who's
mine, have refused me numerous times. They do a lousy job of tree
trimming and last time a limb dropped over the high voltage line and
sent current to house blowing out microwave (on protector that was
probably burned out) and burned out all my other surge protectors
including a couple of scorches on walls, they refused to pay. Radio
Shack gave replacements as did one other company.

My computer was on at the time with surge protector and battery backup
survived except for the surge protector.

I considered small claims suit but lawyer advised not to as they always
get away with the "act of God" defense.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
[...]

I've also heard of amature "landscapers" dropping trees across power lines and
being held responsible for hundreds of electronic devices in their neighborhood
damaged by the resulting surge.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 12, 4:46*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
snip

All your symptoms point to a lightning strike. Personally, I have had
this experience as has a friend recently. In the latter case, the
strike was during a nearby storm, but no big flash or thunder boom.
His insurance company paid for everything without raising rates, but
informed him that there would be no 'next time' unless he installed
lightning rods (which he did, and it wasn't at all expensive). Since
that was his second lightning claim in three years or so, I don't
think it was an unreasonable demand. Besides, he runs his business
from those computers
In my case, the insurance company insisted that everything in the
place be scrutinized for damage before paying the claim. Good thing,
too as it had burnt out one phase of my three phase air compressor
motor. HTH

joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
I considered small claims suit but lawyer advised not to as they always
get

away with the "act of God" defense.

I've also heard of amature "landscapers" dropping trees across power lines
and being held responsible for hundreds of electronic devices in their
neighborhood damaged by the resulting surge.

I had a power transformer blow during a storm and was told it was "an act of
God" and the home owners insurance would have to take care of it. There is
nothing with in reason a power comapny could do to prevent that kind of
damage.

Much differant than when someone cuts a tree over the power lines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 7:26 pm, N8N wrote:
OK, well, let me rephrase that. The only failures are the air filter,
one surge strip, and the dishwasher, which was installed literally the
week before we bought the house. Grr. So there will be no cleaning
of the furnace filters today.
I haven't tried the A/C yet either, which is also new.
The washer (ancient) and dryer (new) seem to be OK.
This could be an expensive experience.

Useful is to determine which phase attached to the Siemens TVSS.
Then determine which other appliances were on the same phase. Was all
other damage also on that same phase?

Makes little difference whether an appliance is on or off for major
surges. That little gap in switches will only block smaller surges.
If the surge was not finding destructive paths through powered off
appliance switch, then, surge typically should have been too small to
harm any surge protector. Any protector diverts surges and remains
functional. Surge protectors only intended for one surge are grossly
undersized.

A TVSS on the breaker box should be 1000 joules minimum. Other
manufacturers make protectors that are maybe 2000 joules. A larger
protector may withstand surges 8 times larger. And again, must divert
surges without damage. Damaged TVSS implies that protector was too
small for your location.

Surges can also cause appliance overstress. Should the failed TVSS,
tripped circuit breakers, and other failed items be on the same phase,
then do some sniffing about on other appliances share that same
phase. Seek indication of damage that may result in failure months
later.

A properly sized plug-in protector does not fail on one surge. To
increase profit margins and to get the naive to recommend that
protector, some protectors are grossly undersized. Surge apparently
was rather small. Otherwise bathroom GFCIs, clock radios, dimmer
switches, smoke detectors, kitchen appliances, TV etc would also
appear on that damage list, and other appliances. Many of those
appliances were 'on' even when they appear to be off.

A surge struck an Ionic Breeze and protector simultaneously with
same potential. Surge was too small to harm the appliance but was
large enough to harm the adjacent protector. Age of the protector was
irrelevant. That implies a small surge - too small to overwhelm
protection already inside the Ionic Breeze.

'Whole house' protectors from GE, Intermatic, Siemens, Cutler-
Hammer, etc should be available in every electrical supply house as
well as through Lowes and Home Depot repair service. If your Siemens
TVSS is not sufficiently sized, then consider getting a second one to
exponentially increase breaker box protection. Other protectors not
part of a circuit breaker tend to be sized larger. You had appliances
damage implying the breaker box protection was too small - let too
much surge into the house.

Finally, also inspect your primary protection system since that is
your utilities responsibility and might be sufficient for them to pay
for damage:
http://www.tvtower.com/fpl.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

"Bob F" wrote in message
I considered small claims suit but lawyer advised not to as they always get
away with the "act of God" defense.

I've also heard of amature "landscapers" dropping trees across power lines
and being held responsible for hundreds of electronic devices in their
neighborhood damaged by the resulting surge.

I had a power transformer blow during a storm and was told it was "an act of
God" and the home owners insurance would have to take care of it. There is
nothing with in reason a power comapny could do to prevent that kind of
damage.

Much differant than when someone cuts a tree over the power lines.

During a storm may be different than this case. (No storm mentioned)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
I considered small claims suit but lawyer advised not to as they always get
away with the "act of God" defense.

I've also heard of amature "landscapers" dropping trees across power lines
and being held responsible for hundreds of electronic devices in their
neighborhood damaged by the resulting surge.

I had a power transformer blow during a storm and was told it was "an act of
God" and the home owners insurance would have to take care of it. *There is
nothing with in reason a *power comapny could do to prevent that kind of
damage.

Much differant than when someone cuts a tree over the power lines.

During a storm may be different than this case. (No storm mentioned)- Hide quoted text -

Homeowners insurance will pay but when working off a $500 deductible
with a $150 microwave oven and $100 worth of surge protectors, it was
not even considered. That year we had 11 power outages with average
of about one day each.

Delmarva Power admitted that they had saved $3 million that year by
cutting back in tree trimming. Me and all my neighbors now have
backup generators.

My cumulative damages were about $600 so insurance was not worth
considering.
My brother had a lightening strike on light pole outside his house
that took out all his electronic equipment so insurance paid.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 13, 4:18*pm, Frank wrote:
On May 13, 1:26*am, "Bob F" wrote:

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

om...

"Bob F" wrote in message
[...]

Well, so far my damages are $110 for the power supply in the air
filter (found online; still waiting on a quote from the guy that
installed it) appx. $200 for the TVSS, and unknown for the dishwasher
(previous owners paid $550 for it, installed.) I'm not counting the
surge strip as it was fully depreciated years ago.

SWMBO called around to various people today as I was too busy at work
to take care of it; they are apparently considering claims for
damages. Sounds like I got off light as a coworker that lives a
couple streets over (in the direction of the transformer that blew, if
my directional hearing isn't completely shot) lost at least a couple
of TVs and he has not fully assessed his damages yet. So this may get
taken care of; we'll see. The only problem is that according to both
the power company and the insurance company, there are a LOT of claims
in my area so it may take a few days for someone to assess it. Air
filter; well I can live without that for a while especially given that
the current weather is such that neither the furnace nor the A/C is
running a lot; the diswasher is another issue entirely - I'm a lazy
*******, goshdarnit, and I like to have menial household chores taken
care of for me automatically!

This experience has got me thinking, though - the furnace itself does
have an electronic control board; would it be a prudent investment to
install some kind of surge suppression right at the furnace to protect
it and the air cleaner should this happen again? The furnace is
something close to 20 years old - I forget exactly when it was
installed, but I did find the receipt for it in some old paperwork -
and I imagine finding a replacement board for that might not be so
easy/inexpensive.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 14, 1:06*am, "Bob F" wrote:
"N8N" wrote in message

This experience has got me thinking, though - the furnace itself does
have an electronic control board; would it be a prudent investment to
install some kind of surge suppression right at the furnace to protect
it and the air cleaner should this happen again? *The furnace is
something close to 20 years old - I forget exactly when it was
installed, but I did find the receipt for it in some old paperwork -
and I imagine finding a replacement board for that might not be so
easy/inexpensive.

A whole house surge protector would probably be your best bet.

I already have (well, had) the Siemens TVSS breaker in my panel. I'm
assuming it was functional prior to this incident. This is why I'm
thinking of adding additional point of use protection. I did find a
local source for a replacement breaker, but I'll need to get up early
to buy it (they keep contractor's hours)

Also, how is a grounding system tested? I obviously have a ground
wire running outside or I would have done something about it, but
without lots of digging, I can't determine where/how many ground rods
I actually have, and even if I did that I don't know how to evaluate
whether they're providing a good solid connection to ground. What's
the procedure for determining if a grounding system is adequate?

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

NateNagel wrote :

[...]

Follow up: finally got a response from the power company. To
paraphrase: urinate on some woven hemp in a direction opposite that of
gravity. Basically they said that their "investigation" determined
that a live tree had fallen on some power lines shorting a high
voltage line to a lower voltage line and that the tree was outside
their right of way so not their problem blah blah blah.

I guess I'm eating this one because my costs are of the same order of
magnitude as my homeowner's insurance deductible, and we already made
a claim for a water heater that done blowed up last year, so a)
there's not much point in it and b) I don't want to end up on anyone's
"high risk" list.

I am glad however that I was able to troubleshoot the issues myself
and at least narrow it down to board level repairs although I decided
not to try to take it down to component level because I did really
expect that this was going to get paid for.

I feel bad for my neighbor/coworker now, he said he lost a couple big
screens

nate