Jeff

Default Plans needed: Ugly garage shelves

The cost surprised me a little bit as well, but it ended up being
worthwhile. The shelving unit is sturdy (once bolted to the wall) and
not really that ugly...

My bill of materials ended up being:

16 joist hangers @ $0.30ea = $ 4.80
12 2x4x8' @ $2 ea = $24.
2 3/8" sheets of plywood @ $8ea = $16.
misc. screws
------
$47.80
3.35 tax
------
~$51.15 + 1 evening's labor.

I'd use 1/2 plywood if I build another set. I had to add a few
supports to keep the 3/8 from sagging once it was loaded up with
boxes.

-Jeff

(MJ Wallace) wrote in message om...
Doug:

Been doing some looking myself. I have tried those plastic devices,
called Shelf Links. Not bad. They work. I also looked into
Simpson Strong Ties - they are expensive once you added
lumber. The real best, heavy duty ones are sold by Costco,
and perhaps other discount stores. They support up to 1,000 or
more pounds and only require a mallet to build them. They usually
cost $50 - 70 a piece and are cheaper then Simpson, but not
cheaper then the Shelf Link system.

Here's another suggestion:

popularmechanics.com/home_improvement/home_improvement/1997/12/storage_shelves/

MJ Wallace