Posted to alt.home.repair
pipedown pipedown is offline

Default how do you deal with 1/4 cracks in an asphalt driveway?

"Joe" wrote in message
I have a couple of small (but getting longer) cracks in my otherwise
smooth and unblemished driveway, what is the best product to use to
seal them. I'm a little uneasy about just filling them with a tar
sealant because the disparity in color will make it stand out all that
much more. Is there some product on the market that will seal the
cracks to protect them from being further widened by snow and ice yet
not discolor it to the point that it draws the eye?

If its relitively new and soft, gouge it out a little bigger and tamp in
some new hot asphalt. Oh, you might need to beg a shovel full from a road
crew if they don't have small bags at HD (I never looked so am unsure). Use
crack repair if it is older and less plyable.

Is this a new driveway. Settlement of the gound due to change in moisture
or season might be at fault. Might want to wait until the hot part of the
summer to complete a repair. Small cracks in asphalt can seal themselves
under the right conditions. Definately fix before winter when freezing can
make it worse.

I have concrete now but when I was a kid it wasn't unusual for the bikes to
fall over on a hot day because the kickstands would sink into the softened
driveway. You should be sealing every few years anyway depending on your
climate.