Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default how do you deal with 1/4 cracks in an asphalt driveway?

I have a couple of small (but getting longer) cracks in my otherwise
smooth and unblemished driveway, what is the best product to use to
seal them. I'm a little uneasy about just filling them with a tar
sealant because the disparity in color will make it stand out all that
much more. Is there some product on the market that will seal the
cracks to protect them from being further widened by snow and ice yet
not discolor it to the point that it draws the eye?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 9:21*am, Joe wrote:
I have a couple of small (but getting longer) cracks in my otherwise
smooth and unblemished driveway, what is the best product to use to
seal them. I'm a little uneasy about just filling them with a tar
sealant because the disparity in color will make it stand out all that
much more. Is there some product on the market that will seal the
cracks to protect them from being further widened by snow and ice yet
not discolor it to the point that it draws the eye?

Anything you apply to fix the crack will be visible. If you want it
uniform, then fix the cracks, then apply a coat of dirveway sealer to
the whole thing. For fixing the cracks, there is a product
available that comes in rolls, like a cord, that you press in place
then use a torch to melt. You can find it by googling or home
centers may have it. Other products avail are liquid or squeeze gun
applied.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

how hard is it to apply the driveway sealer? Are there any online
tutorials that can give me some tips on how to do it right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

how hard is it to apply the driveway sealer? Are there any online
tutorials that can give me some tips on how to do it right?

They are right about once you fix a crack you will be able to see it. I have
owned a seal coating company for over 5 years now and we use several
different products to seal cracks with. The liquid stuff at Home Depot or
Lowes is not too noticeable and then have it sealed afterwards. The sealing
company you hire can do this for you.

--------
John
www.cjsealing.com Home page
http://www.cjsealing.com/help.htm Do it yourself sealing page.
There is a lot more info though out the site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 9:52*am, Joe wrote:
how hard is it to apply the driveway sealer? Are there any online
tutorials that can give me some tips on how to do it right?

It's a lot like painting. The actual application is easy. It's the
prep work that takes most of the time. And that depends on what
condition it's in. Basicly, you have to trim back any shrubs, etc
that may be hanging in the way, sweep/blow it completely clean, blow
out and fill cracks, fill in any small holes or depressions with crack
filler, etc. The sealer you just pour some on, then use a broom/
squegee type applicator to spread it around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
I have a couple of small (but getting longer) cracks in my otherwise
smooth and unblemished driveway, what is the best product to use to
seal them. I'm a little uneasy about just filling them with a tar
sealant because the disparity in color will make it stand out all that
much more. Is there some product on the market that will seal the
cracks to protect them from being further widened by snow and ice yet
not discolor it to the point that it draws the eye?

Add character: Use bright yellow caulk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yellow pages. Call the driveway sealer guy.

"Joe" wrote in message
how hard is it to apply the driveway sealer? Are there any online
tutorials that can give me some tips on how to do it right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
I have a couple of small (but getting longer) cracks in my otherwise
smooth and unblemished driveway, what is the best product to use to
seal them. I'm a little uneasy about just filling them with a tar
sealant because the disparity in color will make it stand out all that
much more. Is there some product on the market that will seal the
cracks to protect them from being further widened by snow and ice yet
not discolor it to the point that it draws the eye?

If its relitively new and soft, gouge it out a little bigger and tamp in
some new hot asphalt. Oh, you might need to beg a shovel full from a road
crew if they don't have small bags at HD (I never looked so am unsure). Use
crack repair if it is older and less plyable.

Is this a new driveway. Settlement of the gound due to change in moisture
or season might be at fault. Might want to wait until the hot part of the
summer to complete a repair. Small cracks in asphalt can seal themselves
under the right conditions. Definately fix before winter when freezing can
make it worse.

I have concrete now but when I was a kid it wasn't unusual for the bikes to
fall over on a hot day because the kickstands would sink into the softened
driveway. You should be sealing every few years anyway depending on your
climate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 5:02*pm, "pipedown" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

I have a couple of small (but getting longer) cracks in my otherwise
smooth and unblemished driveway, what is the best product to use to
seal them. I'm a little uneasy about just filling them with a tar
sealant because the disparity in color will make it stand out all that
much more. Is there some product on the market that will seal the
cracks to protect them from being further widened by snow and ice yet
not discolor it to the point that it draws the eye?

If its relitively new and soft, gouge it out a little bigger and tamp in
some new hot asphalt. *Oh, you might need to beg a shovel full from a road
crew if they don't have small bags at HD (I never looked so am unsure). *

They don't sell hot ashphalt at HD, only cold patch. And both of
those are for fixing larger holes, not small cracks.

Use
crack repair if it is older and less plyable.

Is this a new driveway. *Settlement of the gound due to change in moisture
or season might be at fault. *Might want to wait until the hot part of the
summer to complete a repair. *Small cracks in asphalt can seal themselves
under the right conditions.

I've never seen that happen.

*Definately fix before winter when freezing can
make it worse.

I have concrete now but when I was a kid it wasn't unusual for the bikes to
fall over on a hot day because the kickstands would sink into the softened
driveway. *You should be sealing every few years anyway depending on your
climate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

my asphalt driveway is over 25 years old, and has many cracks.

pne year i applied the sealer heavy which fills the cracks kinda and
stabilizes things.

tried filling cracks once, endless all day project and only completed
a small part.

so i seal every couple years and dont fret.......
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 13, 9:59 pm, Red Green wrote:
Joe wrote in news:48b0871e-8cda-480d-b269-
:

I have a couple of small (but getting longer) cracks in my otherwise
smooth and unblemished driveway, what is the best product to use to
seal them. I'm a little uneasy about just filling them with a tar
sealant because the disparity in color will make it stand out all that
much more. Is there some product on the market that will seal the
cracks to protect them from being further widened by snow and ice yet
not discolor it to the point that it draws the eye?

"small"? How about width?

One thing that worked excellent for me with some cracks was to buy a
bag/can (can't remember) of patch that actually has the real stones in it.
Put it in the crack and on top of it and pounded with a small hand sledge.
Resealed driveway and it was virtually not visable. Not gonna work on those
narrow cracks.

it's a very narrow crack but I can see ice getting in an expanding it
next winter. Sealing seems like a job where a lot can go wrong and
sound like it will cost me at least a pair of shoes and probably pants
and shirt. I'd like to give it a shot but I don't want to screw it up.
I'd like to hear all the mistakes that people have made before I start
so at least I'm aware of the dangers before I start. I like the tip
about stirring all buckets before starting and not painting over
dried area. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tips??? Call the seal guy. Like we said. He'll fill the cracks properly
and you won't get your shoes ruined. This should be done at least every two
years anyway. How long you had this unmaintained driveway??

Asphalt driveway John UK diy 5 April 7th 08 04:50 PM
New asphalt driveway Lonnie Home Ownership 3 September 15th 07 01:14 PM
Repair Cracks in Asphalt Driveway [email protected] Home Repair 15 September 21st 06 01:09 AM
RE Asphalt Driveway joe Home Repair 1 July 21st 06 11:15 PM
What driveway deicer to use on asphalt driveway? sams Home Repair 2 December 9th 03 12:38 AM