Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Cinder block or other material for chimney?

On May 13, 5:14*am, "Charlie S." wrote:
This may make more sense. ?I think the heating system is close to 40 years
old too and could use updating. ?Are there any safety concerns I should be
aware of?

nope just call at least 3 contractors for estimates. ask friends for
referals too

with a 40 year old boiler you might save 1/3rd of your heating bill

exhaust will likely be a PVC pipe.

elminates standing pilot and constant venting of warm room air out
chimney.

Thanks for the furnace and esitmate recommendations.

I have a plumber friend who generally gives me a considerable discount.
But, I will still get other estimates and ask about different brands. *I

I *see the Trane brand advertised a lot in the newspaper and promoted at
Home shows. *If I remember correctly, they are also rather pricey. *Is this
a brand to consider or should I just to HD or and see what they have?

You said boiler, boilers heat water furnaces heat air and HD is not
the place for either but a bid and idea. 40 yr old whatever might be
70-80% efficent for a boiler and 50-80% for a furnace if it was
maintained. You can go to 95%+ condensing units and save alot and as
said, and forget about the chimney. What you have now, how it was
maintained, and if it was ever sized right will determine what you
will save. But 40 years old, I would think the life of whatever is a
risk and paying to fix a chimney not necessary for a condensing unit.
Now if you have a Steam Boiler you are stuck fixing the chimney