Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default damage from blown transformer?

On May 12, 4:46*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
snip

All your symptoms point to a lightning strike. Personally, I have had
this experience as has a friend recently. In the latter case, the
strike was during a nearby storm, but no big flash or thunder boom.
His insurance company paid for everything without raising rates, but
informed him that there would be no 'next time' unless he installed
lightning rods (which he did, and it wasn't at all expensive). Since
that was his second lightning claim in three years or so, I don't
think it was an unreasonable demand. Besides, he runs his business
from those computers
In my case, the insurance company insisted that everything in the
place be scrutinized for damage before paying the claim. Good thing,
too as it had burnt out one phase of my three phase air compressor
motor. HTH

joe